Wednesday 7 March 2012

Research - Character Designs of "Tim Burton's Corpse Bride"

The 2005 film "Tim Burton's Corpse Bride" features a variety of character designs which have been an influence to me within my current work. The characters within "Corpse Bride" were designed by Carlos Grangel. The main characters were originally designed by the director Tim Burton, but it was Grangel who took these designs and developed the characters into how they look in the finished film.

The inspiration I am taking away from "Corpse Bride" is the look of the characters, and not the supernatural style of the story. The film takes place in an unspecified European country, and features an unusual washed out color palette for both the setting and characters. The film takes place during the Victorian times, and features the correct period design work that I wish to replicate within my own character design work, and short film overall. Ignoring the designs of the main cast, the background characters within the film boast an array of interesting styles. It is from these background characters that I have drawn the most inspiration from. These background characters feature an exaggerated, eccentric Victorian aesthetic, and it is from these designs I have drawn influence from when developing my own character designs to be modeled in Maya.





Above, Grangel's character designs



1 comment: